Saturday, July 11, 2009

A break...

I have a few posts waiting around but need to take a break. My mother in law fell ill Thursday and is very very sick and in the hospital. After several failed attempts to diagnose her worsening condition, they think they are on the right track. We haven't seen her getting better and were scared. Things are still very unstable. I can't think of anything else but focusing my energy, thoughts and prayers on her. Can you do the same for me? We all love her and rely on her so much!


An update and explanation...
I just wanted to provide everyone an update on mom's condition as I know many of you have been thinking and praying for her. Wednesday night at about 9 pm mom started having a sudden and sever headache, one that she described as the worst headache she had ever experienced. By Thursday morning she was taken to her doctors office and they immediately sent her to the emergency room at St Marks Hospital. Thursday at about 2 in the afternoon she was given a CT Scan that indicated an anomaly in her brain and the doctors hinted toward a possible stroke or maybe a lesion of some sort. The requested a MRI scan to see if they could have a better look and started her on IV pain medication. It was close to Midnight before she finally was able to get her MRI and at about 1 am on Friday morning Dad, Craig and myself met with the neurologist. His opinion was that she had had a small stroke but that there might potentially be a tumor in the same area as well. By Friday morning around 10 am she had deteriorated to a point that they doctors started looking at possible other explanations and floated the idea of a abscess in the brain that may have ruptured. They ordered more blood tests, more MRI's and a spinal tap. Based on these additional test it has been determined that she most likely has suffered from a ruptured brain abscess that has infected her brain and her spinal column.

Right now she is fighting the infection and it has definitely taken a toll on her. This is extremely dangerous and very rare, I won't go into specifics but suffice it to say that she is in a real battle right now. Yesterday was very hard as she was not aware of her surroundings, when the nurse asked her who I was she was not able to recognize me, not a pleasant feeling to have your mother in this type of condition. She is still very confused and disoriented but we all think she is better today than she was yesterday and will continue to hope for improvement. I know many of you have fasted and prayed for her today as news has reached you and we find no coincidence in her improvement and those prayers that so many of you have offered. There is no doubt that she has strong faith and is loved by many people who are offering prayers on her behalf. We can not thank each of you enough for your thoughts and prayers and for you affection towards mom, I know she appreciates and loves each of you.

Please continue to keep her in your prayers and I will try and provide updates as they happen.



Thanks!

13 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

We love her too, Laura, and we will keep praying until we hear better news. Please keep us updated on her condition, okay?

Hugs to all of you.

Natalie said...

This is the worst news ever! We will keep her in our thoughts and prayers, and YOU too! Hope things turn around soon.

Are You Serious! said...

♥ I'm so sorry to hear that! I'll pass along some prayers for you guys!!! Take care!

Jenn said...

We will keep her in our prayers for your family too.

Hillary said...

I am so sorry Laura. I will keep you all in my prayers. Please let me know if we can help with anything. Remeber that Ryan is here so he can help if needed.

Jocasta said...

She's in my thoughts and prayers. Hope she gets better soon.

Karen said...

I am praying for her too!

"where there is great love, there are always miracles".

I forgot who said it but I cling to this quote in times like these!

God Bless and prayers and hugs from Ohio!

Sara said...

oh no! that is terrible. I know this has got to be a stressful time for your family. I am so sorry. I will for sure say a prayer for her and for you all. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

tiarastantrums said...

I'm so sorry to hear this - many prayers your way

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Oh that is terrible.. I pray she improves.

Heather Anderson said...

Hope she continues to do better and that she returns home soon.

Our family chaos said...

This is such a nice picture of you and mom. I am glad we finally can start getting her better. Thank you for helping me through this. I am so glad we have eachother!

Mike and Shelby said...

Oh my goodness, Laura! I am so sorry to hear this! She'll be added to our prayers!